1819 Simplicity – Completed (kind of)

K wore this today even though it’s not quite complete.

I need to re-do the waistband (the pattern piece wasn’t long enough). The waistband starts at the zipper (middle of back) and goes around the body completely and then fastens on the side. It’s important that it’s the right size because the bustle is attached via the waistband). The only other change I made was to the bustle. The directions call to put casing in and the a string. I decided (in the interests of time) to use elastic sewn down every few inches instead. It would very well too.

The other item that isn’t complete is the bottom ruffle. It’s cut out, we just ran out of time. It’ll be black with the same trim on the bolero at the gather.

1819 Simplicity – Bolero

The bolero is complete. Since it’s a costume, I decided to not line it. The body is black microsuede that Hancock’s had on clearance (50% off). The pattern directs you to use 2 different fabric for the flounce, but we (K) wanted lace there instead. Since we were using a lace that had a scallop edge, I wasn’t able to use the pattern.

BTW, the sizing of this pattern is on the small size. Even though we used the correct size for K’s measurements, it’s a bit tight for K and will probably go to her older sis instead.


After going to a parasol covering panel at All-Con (presented by fellow DFWCG member, Coleen), I was encouraged to recover a parasol myself. My 1st parasol arrived in the mail today. The handle is horn and the spokes all work. I need to get some replacement tips though. More to follow…