Dematerialization Circuit now in progress

I just had to make one of these since they appeared on a new episode of Doctor Who. This version will be the smaller one but I do plan on making the larger circuit from Classic Who.
The middle is a shooter marble. The arms will be made from small storage tubes, trimmed to 4 cm roughly.

So far, I’ve trimmed the tubes and dipped them in transparent glass paint.

The tubes now have 4 coats of paint on them. Rather than using a brush, I opened the bottle and gently dipped each end.

The paint has cured and has now been glued to the shooter marble with E6000.

The next step will be to decide if I want to add LED lights and taping the edges in prep for the silver paint. 
Sources

Small plastic tubes – Hobby Lobby

Marble – Hobby Lobby

Stained glass transparent paint – Amazon

Handmines

I recently decided that it would be interesting to make some Handmines, from The Magician’s Apprentice episode of Doctor Who.

screen-shot-2015-09-22-at-7-18-32-am

I started with some rubber dishwashing gloves, stuffed them with fiberfill, applied multiple coats of Rust-Oleum® American Accents® Stone Spray, and will be giving it an eye.

3W Bottle Caps

Last year, I traded these ribbons at Gallifrey One but for 2016, I made 3W bottle caps to hand out to fellow Missy’s and a few other people.

welcome to heaven ribbon

I’ll have about 50 of the bottle caps with me as well as leftover “Welcome to Heaven” ribbons.

Bias Cut Underskirt

The silk that I coffee dyed a couple of months ago is finally cut out! Due to the “inspiration” photos, it had to be cut out on the bias.

Here’s a before & after photo of the silk that was dyed. It was still a bit damp in this photo.

img_20150806_204543217_hdr.jpg

More to come soon!

 

Missy’s MPDA 2.0

You may recall that my original MPDA was made of baked fimo clay. I was never happy with it – the sculpted bits kept coming unglued from the phone case they were attached to and it looked anything but screen accurate.

One of my cosplay Missy friends has taken the time to model the MPDA in 3D and has it for sale on Shapeways. Size 1 is the size in the show and fits an iPhone 4. I’m not an iPhone user, so I had to also obtain a used iPhone. Anyway, size 1 is 3D printable now but you have to get it in 3 separate items – Faceplate, Lens Faceplate & Bumper/Connectors/Iris Bases.

I’m now almost complete with my MPDA 2.0!

The digital image files represented exactly what I received.

625x465_3887769_12321981_1444020960 625x465_3887762_12321793_1444021906 625x465_3887223_12321938_1444020093

Here are my WIP photos:

I started with a black paint wash. The plastic that was used in the 3D printing absorbed a lot of paint!

I started with a black paint wash. The plastic that was used in the 3D printing absorbed a lot of paint!

Test fitting

Test fitting

Test fitting

Test fitting

Test fitting

Test fitting

With some metallic paint added to the faceplates.

With some metallic paint added to the faceplates.

Almost finished (with flash)

Almost finished (with flash)

Almost finished

Almost finished